Monday, August 25, 2008

Voting Catholic this November

With families struggling to survive, and both parents working jobs under threat of layoff, America needs new leadership. With healthcare costs soaring and millions of Americans without health insurance, America needs a new plan. With our country at war and relations with other countries strained, American needs a new strategy. With our educational systems failing and our children falling behind, America needs a new perspective. With our planet warming and energy costs rising America needs to show the way.

As a Catholic going to the polls this November, I am mindful of these shared problems we face as Americans. My faith and love for my country compel me to vote for a candidate that will bring a systematic reform of No Child Left Behind. As a Catholic I am called to vote for the candidate that will bring improved access to health care for the poor and working families. As a Catholic, I seek a candidate who supports a lowering of the federal deficit. I seek a candidate who seeks a realistic investment in alternative energy speaking to the call I have as a Catholic to be a good steward of the environment. As a Catholic watching my country from a world view, I seek a candidate that will end the harsh interrogation of detainees and restore our respect and relations globally. As a Catholic I seek a candidate who works to address the circumstances surrounding a woman’s decision to have an abortion and works to reduce and eliminate abortions in this country.

The possibility for a Barrack Obama Presidency brings the prospect of a national unity not felt since the presidency of JFK. Catholic social teaching proclaims that we are our brothers’ and sisters’ keepers, no matter if they are rich, poor, white or black. As President, Barrack Obama will tend to the dignity of the human person. We will hear his call to family, community and participation. Rights will become a priority as will options for the poor and vulnerable. As President, Barrack Obama will bring dignity back to work and secure the rights of workers. As our nation regains respect in the world, I believe an Obama presidency will bring solidarity to our planet as well as care for God’ Creation. These tenants and issues are part of my being, part of my faith narrative and the reasons I will vote for Barrack Obama and Joe Biden as a Catholic this November.